How can I enforce a child support order when my child’s other parent moves out of New Jersey?

Child Support Enforcement for Nonresidents

The court entered a child support order directing that your former spouse pay a weekly amount.  At the time, your child’s other parent also lived in New Jersey.  They have since relocated to another state.  Sadly, they have stopped paying child support.  You feel overwhelmed and uncertain.  Is there child support enforcement for nonresidents? 

Child Support Enforcement

The New Jersey Judiciary has prepared an excellent document on the issue of child support collection.   Although some parents are delinquent in payments, many recognize support payments as obligatory.  Most realize that children are entitled to not the only the love and affection of both parents.  They are also due financial support.

The State is very involved in the collection of child support.  The agency that oversees child support and enforcement is the New Jersey Department of Human Services, Division of Family Development.  Notwithstanding, it is the Family Division of the Superior Court who reviews child support issues and rules on them. The county probation department is in charge of collecting the support payments and enforcing court orders. Individuals who have questions concerning child support enforcement problems can take advantage of a 24 hour hotline.  The number is 1-877-655-4371 (1-877-NJKIDS1)

What happens when someone moves out of State?

New Jersey is a party to the federal Uniform Interstate Family Support Act (UIFSA).  If a New Jersey court has issued a child support order, it may continue to have exclusive jurisdiction.  This is true whether the payer, payee or child still remain in New Jersey.

Under the guidelines of this Act, employers in other states are expected to honor New Jersey court orders mandating withholding allowances for child support.  In fact, if someone who owes child support moves out of state, the local New Jersey Probation Department may take action.  This may include forwarding the support order to the appropriate government agencies in the other state.  Again, New Jersey has exclusive jurisdiction in these cases, as long as someone still resides in New Jersey.

Navigating through Child Support Enforcement

Many parents rely on child support to provide their children with essential needs.  It is disillusioning when the money is not available.  Whether you were never married to your child’s parent, or going through a difficult divorce, lack of support can be troublesome.

At the Law Offices of Sam Stoia, we understand your frustration.  Our familiarity with the court system and various agencies enables us to better advocate for our clients.  Are you faced with a problem collecting child support payments?  Even if your child’s other parent has moved out of state, we may be able to help you.  We offer our clients an initial consultation at no cost.  Please contact us to set up a meeting.

How can I enforce a child support order when my child’s other parent moves out of New Jersey?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *